Tuesday 19 March 2013

Layout Progress


Today I managed to actually get started playing around with my layouts in InDesign. I started off with a rough draft of a few of Alexa's profile pages. I can't start the front cover or contents pages yet as I would prefer to complete them last when I have shot all of the models and completed their profiles.

I really want to make the profiles personal to the agency and have tried out a slightly casual/arty yet still bold and editorial approach to Alexa's Layout. I have left thick borders on some images, often next to an image that stretches the full capacity of the page. This was an idea I gained when researching through 'Wonderland' and 'Dazed' magazines as the layouts in both publications is quite quirky. The images are placed to look simple yet punchy and I want to portray that in my magazine. 

I was inspired by the following layouts for "Mae's" all are taken from "Wonderland", "Dazed" or "Company". 





I really liked the black rectangular shapes with white writing inside them as they are quite quirky and personalised so I decided to try and recreate something similar within my work. Here is what I have achieved so far with my first draft of Alexa Baigent's profile:


The text in the lower right page is placed as a trial at the moment and will be a small Biography of Alexa when completed fully.




I have planned to give each model five double pages each which will result in me having alot more pages than I planned initially for the magazine however I feel this will only improve the aesthetic of the publication when finished.I am pleased with the layout so far and am keen to keep working on it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment